Elvis in the Loo

Monday, July 10, 2006

A Bit of This and That

It’s the beginning of a new work week, and I have a feeling it’s going to be a busy one. Today is the last day with only one doctor here, so I’m taking advantage of the relative calm and quiet.

First up, World Cup. Sat down with a few friends yesterday to watch the finale between France and Italy. At the start, I genuinely didn’t care who won – I just wanted to watch some hardcore football. However, after the bizarre late-in-the-game headbutt by Zidane, I was 100% Italy. Glad they won. Sad the World Cup is over for another four years. Maybe I can save up my pennies and see it live in South Africa in 2010. Wouldn’t that be something! (P.S. What is up with Zidane winning the Golden Ball award? Italy #5, you were robbed!!)

Saw the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie on Saturday night. It was long. It was confusing. The special effects were pretty amazing. Johnny Depp looks good in eyeliner. The twists and turns and loose ends made me excited to see how it all turns out in movie number three.

My book suggestion for the week: Girl Meets God by Lauren Winner. This is her memoir of converting to Orthodox Judaism and then converting to Christianity. Excellent, though-provoking, humbling read. I highly recommend it!

Yesterday was such an amazing day for me – a true spiritual feast. First of all, the Sunday morning worship was really that. Worship. I was reminded how awesome and praiseworthy God is. I was convicted that I have not been seeking Him first in my life lately and have, instead, been incredibly self-seeking. I was convicted that I needed to make things right with a couple people in my life, and I pray I’ve done that since then. I was convicted that I’ve become lazy and almost too comfortable with where I’m at spiritually. I so do not want to become lukewarm – yet, I see that I may have become just that.

Last night at singles’ group, this month’s married couple talked about love and respect. I was reminded of some of those important and often confusing differences between men and women. Men want respect. Women want love. Every man has an inner ‘superhero’ – they imagine scoring the winning touchdown and saving the day and going on dangerous adventures and winning their Beauty. Every woman has an inner princess – she wants to be the Beauty, she wants to be wooed and won and fought for, and she wants to join her superhero on his daring quest.

I love how God created male and female – so much alike, yet so different, each demonstrating a different aspect of God’s perfect character. I love that men and women need what each other has to offer and are drawn to it.

I was also reminded that I need to have a better, more optimistic attitude toward people in general. As the married woman said last night, I need to believe that people have ‘thoughts of good will’ toward me. I often over-analyze and believe people hate my guts, even though I have no consistent evidence to back this up. I tend to latch on to the worst, instead of choosing to believe the best.

Finally, can I reasonably believe people will love me if I’m not being lovable? There’s always those rare few who will love me know matter what (i.e. parents), but generally, if I’m not a lovely person, I can’t expect people to genuinely love me. It’s kind of like that old proverb: “If you want a friend, be friendly.” It’s a reminder that a little bit of loveliness goes a long way.

And now, a few fun facts to close today’s blog:
**I am now addicted to the Sam’s Club flavored sparkling water. The key lime flavor is my favorite.
**I get to house sit for our sonographer when she goes on vacation next month. She owns two dogs and three birds.
**Right now, I’m really hungry. The chicken noodle soup at lunch just didn’t do the trick.
**I’m really craving Moulin Rouge. I haven’t seen it in ages, and I’m starting to feel withdrawal. Dear Ewan, Do not fear. I haven’t abandoned you. I will see you soon. Love, Michelle
**Lastly, only 40 minutes to go, and this Monday at work is done!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home