Elvis in the Loo

Friday, June 02, 2006

Confessions of a 28-year-old

Bon Anniversaire a moi!

Gone are my days as a youthful 27-year-old. I have now officially entered the world of someone in their 'late 20s'. And, you know what? It's not bad at all!

How has this, my 28th birthday, been so far? Well, at midnight, I was serenaded by my three spades-playing companions, Lesley, Aaron and Cory. It made me think back to a year ago, when, at midnight, I opened one gift with my then roommate Angie, my friend Graham called to be the first person to wish me happy birthday, and I was sitting in my kitchen in England. It's funny to think that the people I was with at midnight this morning, I didn't even know a year ago when I was hanging out in Loughborough.

Got to work this morning (after only five hours of sleep, thanks spades buddies), and my front desk mate Megan had made me a card with Dr. Jack from LOST on it, accompanied by a bag of chocolate-covered peanuts (this girl is very observant!), and another card which is perfect for me. It reads: "If you're not going to SNORT, why even laugh?" I heartily agree with the sentiments!

Work has been busy today, but there was plenty of cake left from yesterday, and then post-lunch, a special treat: my friend Melody brought me a gift I had been longing for all day -- a glamorous tiara to go with my gaudy Chuck-E-Cheese jewelry! Said tiara also had matching plastic earrings and a purple fluffy boa! But that wasn't all! Also in the gift bad was Ben & Jerry's ice cream! Gorgeous! And then it got even better: homemade magnets of John Krasinski/Jim Halpert. Ahhh, perfection!

I love celebrating on my birthday. I used to not care or want anyone to know. Thankfully, God woke me up to the fact that He made me, created me, and welcomed me to the world on June 2, 28 years ago. He's blessed me and given me so much for which to be thankful. That's worth celebrating -- LIFE is worth celebrating!

On my birthday, I like to engage in a little reflection -- examining the past year, and setting some goals for the next one. It's amazing to think that a year ago, my life was so different: different job, different friends, different vocabulary, different transportation, different country. I feel like I've had to grow and stretch and almost become a whole new person over the past twelve months. I look back over the year, and I'm proud of myself. Yet, I know it's God who deserves the credit. It's incredible to think that He numbered the days of my life before I'd lived even one of them. This past year held no suprises for Him; He was perfectly able to guide me through it.

Where do I want to be a year from now on my 29th birthday? What do I hope to accomplish before my next birthday? I would love to be in the position to start my master's degree in the fall of 2007. I would love to have paid off my car (well, actually my grandmother). I hope to be more financially secure and stable. I pray that I'm wiser, stronger, and closer to God. I want to learn to accept and enjoy myself more, and to courageously offer 'Michelle' to those around me.

I'm excited to see what this year holds. And I'm so thankful for this day, where I can celebrate and rejoice with my friends, play a little laser tag, wear and shiny tiara and a heart-shaped Little Mermaid ring, and eat cake. I'm happy that I can celebrate me and invite everyone around me to join in. I hope I inspire others to love and rejoice in their birthdays as much as I do in mine!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home