Elvis in the Loo

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Thoughtless on Thursday

Good afternoon, dear readers! What's up with the weather today? Stormy one minute, the next, the sun is blazing in all it's glory. I just don't get it.

Speaking of weather, it was stinking hot yesterday. Hhhhhhot! I felt like the heat was smothering me. I couldn't breathe. I seriously felt like I was going to pass out. Ew. And it's only May. I don't know what's going to happen later on in the summer. I'll probably be hibernating in an air conditioned building somewhere. This Ohio girl who just spent five years in a country that doesn't have humidity is not conditioned for Tennessee summers!

Ok, this is embarrassing. I have come to believe that I have absolutely no short-term memory. Recent example: the phone just rang; it was a nurse calling one of our doctors about a patient. She told me her name and which hospital she was calling from. In the 6.35 seconds it took me to walk from my desk to the doctor's office, I had completely forgotten who was calling him. Sad, sad, sad. And all this before my 28th birthday. Tragic.

We're having technology problems here at work. My yahoo account either desperately hates me, or something is wrong with our system. It's frustrating. I've written several e-mails today (witty, interesting, entertaining ones, of course!) that refuse to be sent out into cyberspace. Grrrr. God must be attempting to teach me patience through this.

My birthday is only eight days away. Plans are in the works for Michelle's Marathon Birthday Lock-In Extraveganza. I feel like there should be t-shirts to commemorate said occassion.

I am on a mission. A quest which would change my life in remarkable ways. I want to be allowed to wear scrubs to work. This is an understatement. I think I'm obsessed with being allowed to wear scrubs at work.

I am not a nurse. I don't pretend to be. I don't want to be. I'm just lazy and fashionistically challenged. Choosing what to wear each day is probably my toughest decision each morning. I dread it. And I usually get to work loathing what I've put on my body.

A lot of doctors' offices allow their clerical staff to wear scrubs. And, in fact, I found out today that there's no rule that says I can't. It's only because all of the other clerical workers have no desire to wear scrubs. I think that's slightly odd, because scrubs are cheap, comfy (pretty much like pajamas), cute and come in a multitude of colors and designs. And they're easy to coordinate -- so easy, in fact, I know I could handle it.

So, I'm setting myself a goal: to discuss this with my boss by my birthday. Wouldn't that be the greatest present to myself to buy loads of cute scrubs to wear to work?

I know that you, dear reader, don't really care about my fashion concerns. I'm just telling you so you can hold me accountable with my stated goal.

The afternoon drags on. The sun is shining again, and I'm jealous of people who have jobs that require them to be outside. Park rangers, for example. Lifeguards at the beach, for another.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:42 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Hey - It's Lisa! I finally found you.
    I think you should go full-steam ahead with the scrubs idea. I know it would make my life A LOT easier if I could wear pajama-like clothing around here ...

     
  • At 7:54 AM, Blogger Jennifer Thompson said…

    Yeah, I hate to break it to you, but pretty much the whole summer is going to be muggy. Remember Arkansas? It's not that bad. See, that puts a positive spin on it! :) You learn to love it. Or at least I do. Give me humidity over cold any day!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home