Elvis in the Loo

Sunday, April 10, 2005

On being a princess. . .

My friend Joanne, who works at a day care center, asked the children last week what they wanted to be when they grew up. One of the little boys said Spiderman. One of the little girls said that she wanted to be a princess.

My heart understands that little three-year-old. As a 26-year-old, I still want to be a princess when I grow up. Yesterday, Angie and I joined millions of other people in watching Prince Charles marry Camilla. To be honest, I watched mainly to get a glimpse of Prince William! You see, for years I've lived under the delusion that I will miraculously meet him and he'll immediately choose me to be his bride, his princess.

I feel kind of silly admitting that, but I have an idea that I'm not alone in dreaming those kinds of dreams. I would guess that many other women dream of a handsome, charming prince sweeping her off her feet. After all, we've been raised on fairy tales -- stories of ordinary women turned princess and living happily ever after.

In the past few months, I've started to get caught up in what I'll call "Princess Fever". As God's child, a daughter of the King of kings, I guess I'm technically a princess. The world may not recognize me as such and call me "HRH Princess Michelle", but I'm thinking that God maybe does. And well, there's some really cute "princess" merchandise on the market, even on the Christian market. I've got the socks, door hangings, bookmarks, and my friends have even bought me "princess" . . . unmentionables (you know).

But I'm realizing that loads of cute "princess" merchandise does not a princess make. And I've been wondering lately, what is a real princess? What does she look like? How does she think? How does she treat others? How does she behave, even when no one else is watching? And the biggest question: could I really be a princess?

There's a verse in Song of Solomon that, oh, how I wish could be used to describe me. "Yes, compared to other women, my beloved is like a lily among thorns" (2:2). That verse, to me, is the essence of a true princess. She's different, extraordinary, rare, set apart. She has qualities that are hard to find, unusual, not commonplace. You can see a uniqueness in her attitude, in how she walks and talks and acts. She stands out, not because she's crude or loud or attention-seeking, but because she's graceful and gracious.

The late Princess Diana is still adored and loved by millions here in the UK and throughout the world. To many she was a fairytale princess come to life. The legacy she left when she died was one of service. In her later years, she devoted her life to many charities and traveled the world helping hurting people. Although Diana was far from perfect, I admire that quality about her. She used her position and status to help others. I think that's a mark of a true princess. She doesn't toss her title around so she can have the best seats in the theatre, or get invited to the best party, or get loads of applause and attention. She sees her position of privilege as a way to touch as many lives as possible.

As you can see, I'm still trying to figure this whole princess-thing out. My position as God's child sets me apart, but am I using it to bless others? Am a lily or do I blend in with the other thorns?

All I know is that when I grow up, I still want to be a princess! And hey, if a handsome prince wants to sweep me off my feet, slay the dragon and wake me up with a kiss, I wouldn't mind that either!

2 Comments:

  • At 12:25 PM, Blogger Kirsten Alana said…

    great post! I too, loved Diana. Ever since I was the littlest girl, in fact it's one of the earliest memories I have :-) I like what you said about her legacy of service.

    also - I agree with the questions you raise and the thoughts you share on being a princess to God, our Father!

     
  • At 8:58 AM, Blogger Tiffany said…

    Michelle - I was watching "Beauty and the Beast" last night, and I always get chill bumps at the end, when the Beast is transformed by the power of Belle's love. There is so much truth in that message!

    Love has the power to change all of us from ugly, sinning beasts, into the children of God - princesses of the heavenly kingdom. But it's more than just a status. We are also called to a higher standard of behavior. But we're lucky, because the same power transforms the very nature of our beings into ones that love, and give, and serve. And all we have to do is to be still and let God's love fall on us! Are we blessed, or what?

    ps - the Wilsons (the family with the little girl) are definitely coming on our trip! Yay! Phil's blog over the next few weeks should be interesting, so check it out! http://jphilwilson.blogspot.com/
    tiff

     

Post a Comment

<< Home